Those who are highly skilled at billiards, know that just like any sport, the most important trick for success is to practice, practice, and practice some more.
However, most people could still benefit from some tricks and tips to up their game, whether a novice or more serious player. Dr. Dave Alciatore has a great website with tips, tricks, and tons of resources for billiards players of all levels.
He has done all sorts of writing in the area, posts instructional videos, rating tools, and is an all-around wealth of knowledge and resources when it comes to pool. You can read more about him here.
One of the really great resources on his site is a well-categorized list of 100 tips and tricks. The top of the list includes a reminder to above all else- practice.
The list of 100 tips and tricks is broken down into 15 different categories, to make it easier to focus on areas that need improvement.
The categories include:
- Fundamentals: Including stance, alignment, elbow position, etc.
- Aim: Including vision center and visualization tools
- Cue Ball Control
- Speed Control
- Draw Shot: For example, make sure your tip has been chalked appropriately
- Position Control
- Safety Play
- Bank and Kick Shots
- Carom and Kiss Shots
- Break Shots
- Jump Shots
- Masse Shots
Here are some reading materials to help improve your game.
Best Sellers in Billiards & Pool
- The 99 Critical Shots in Pool: Everything You Need to Know to Learn and Master the Game by Ray Martin
- Byrne’s New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards by Robert Byrne
- The Illustrated Principles of Pool and Billiards by David G. Alciatore
- Banking and Kicking made simple: The carry with you principles of pocket pool by Marcel Elfers
- The Flight of the Cue Ball – Aiming Pool Shots with Side Spin by Robin E. Kelly
As The Billiard Collection approaches 53 years in business, you will find the largest selection in South Florida. There are over 40 antique tables in stock from the mid 1800’s thru the early part of the 20th century.
Make sure to check out our new website or visit us in store in Fort Lauderdale today!