People play the table game of foosball all over the world.
It’s a fun past time that you can set up to play in just about any space. It’s also a rather simple concept that is easy for players to get into and have fun with.
Foosball consists of a table with eight rods. Players push, pull, or turn the rods to allow the players on the table, attached to the rods, kick and push the ball towards the goal of the opponent.
While this is a simple explanation of foosball, it can become rather complex with very detailed rules for those who are serious about the table game.
Here are some fun facts about the table game of foosball:
- Every good tournament player has one or two good (signature) shots they have mastered in preparation.
- No one knows who invented foosball. The first patent for it was created in 1923.
- There are four styles of play and corresponding styles of tables: American, French, German, and Italian.
- The first American foosball table was created in 1970s by Hayes and Furr.
- The Guinness World Record for the longest time of continuous foosball play is 61 hours and 17 minutes.
- The grand prize at the foosball World Championship in 1978, the height of foosball popularity, was one million dollars.
- The late 1970s is the time in history in which foosball was most popular.
- The first tournament in the United States was held at Eight Ball Billiards in Montana.
- Part of the decline in popularity of foosball in the early 1980s is credited to the huge popularity of Pacman.
- The first ever foosball league was created by the Belgians in the 1950s.
If you’re looking for a foosball table of your own, perfect to complete your basement, entertainment space, or man cave, check out the wide selection from The Billiards Collection.
We offer a variety of styles, colors, and materials and you will be sure to find the foosball table of your dreams.